Monday 15 February 2021

Saikyou Kenja no Kosodate Nikki - Ch 8

I am Alive. I got my laptop back. Period.

 

Translated by : Gsekka


Since we received the hospitality from the Otto house, a week has passed.

The countess of Otto said to me, "Would you continue to live in this house as home-tutor for mine's children."

"Of course, since I'm hiring a Wiseman after all, I've to appreciate it."

The amount of money presented by the Countess was such that the eyes of the maid who's in charge of our household finance, shines.

While pulling my arm, she says, "Master, by all means lets work for Ottos's house!"

And strongly suggested me.

"As always, a Money-loving maid, aren't you?"

"It's because if we don't have money, we can't live. Master too would die if you don't eat anything, and Chloe too would die if master don't change the psuedo-philosopher's stone in my chest regularly. In the old times, people used to say that not having money was the same as not having a head.”

"That's certainly true."

I said while smiling bitterly.

I also ask Fiona.

"Does Fiona like it here too?"

Fiona nods so vigorously that she swings around her blonde braids. over and over. 

"I became friends with Eugene, Mia and Luna. Fiona want to be here."

My heart sunk when I hear those words.

To be honest, being a tutor is not my cup of tea. Having lived for a thousand years, I've had the opportunities to teach people, but I'm well aware that I was not suitable as an educators.

In the past, I served as a substitute instructor for the magic school of the royal capital on behalf of my teacher Seymour, but at that time, I made all the classes into "self-study", and caused the results of the class I am in charge to fall from top rank to lowest.

I was too absorbed in my research while making them engage in "self-study".

As a result, I was immediately fired, however I was told by the astonished Seymour.

"You're the best Wiseman among those I've raised, but it doesn't seems you're suited as an instructor."

Afterwards, Seymour, who had returned, restored the results of the class wonderfully, which proved that my teacher words are right.

I wonder if a human being who can't even work as a temporary teacher at a magic school will suitable to be a tutor of a noble's child.

Nope, it's impossible.

That's what I thought, but, if my daughter still wanted to be here, then I shall bend my own creed. In other words, it is not a bad idea to give up research first and become a tutor.

 That's what I had in mind.

However, for the past few days, my determination become dulled, the reason was due to Fiona gazing more at her friend's mother which is Countess Otto rather than her friends.

The gaze and expression clearly included feelings of longing.

Until now, Fiona has never said, "I want a mommy,"or anything like that.

Chloe jokingly said, "Chloe is the mother of Fiona-sama," but nevertheless, she didn't bite to it.

Of course, my daughter knew the concept of a mother, and maybe knew what kind of existence it was, but actually witnessing about it must made her realize for the first time, about what is a "real mother".

Perhaps her emotions began to grow looking at the sight of Mrs. Otto loving her children.

"Why don't I have a mommy?"

And It may caused such questions to come into being.

Of course, Fiona wouldn't say such words.

conceivably, by staying here as it is, it may make the feeling become stronger.

There was such a though in my head.

Supposedly, If I were to be a tutor of the Otto family here, "even though Eugene, Mia, and Luna have a mother, why I don't have one?"

The day may come when she start to think that way.

...No, it will surely come.

At that time, how should I answer my daughter...

"Fiona is a child born from a flask. There is no pedigree father or mother.''

Should I speak so honestly like that?

Or should I lie to her and say.

"Fiona's mother died while giving birth to Fiona, but she really loved you."

I felt that neither was a proper answer, and both seems to be correct answers.

However, right now I didn't have the courage to choose any.

Because of the habit after living for a thousand years, It is impossible for me to choose the choice that must be done someday.

I wonder if my teacher will laugh, seeing this miserable state of mine.

Even though you can cast a forbidden magic, you can't say any decent words as a person.

she may told me off like that.

As I thinking, I notice that a birds are tapping the splendid windows of the Otto house.

An owl was tapping the window, "konkon".

Seeing that figure, the Countess said.

"oh my! It's an owl, how unusual. even though we rarely see them here in this region"

Before that, I had a doubts about the why the owl was active in midday. Owl are nocturnal and sleep in the daytime.

Moreover, they don't appear in humans dwelling like this and does not poke at the window.

Well, If it were an ordinary owl, though...

I immediately realize it, that the owl is not normal.

"I beg your pardon."

As I said that, I got the permission of Countess Otto and let the owl inside the room.

The Owl land on my shoulder as if it were natural.

And then, it began to speak in human language.

"Ya, ladies and gentleman, good day to all of you!"

"Owl-san spoke!"

It's like a fairy tale!

Fiona was in high spirits. The children of the Otto family was also in high spirits.

However, only me and Chloe couldn't laugh.

We know that the owl was a familiar.

Moreover, that familiar belonged to a person I knew really well.

"Kite-sama, this is..."

Said Chloe, as she point toward the human language speaking-owl.

I can guess what she wants to say.

"Most likely, this familiar belong to master"

"That's right. I can feel the waves of Seymour-sama's magical power."

"And that person likes to use owls as her familiars."

Everything about it seems to get along with that person's "nocturnality".

Or, maybe because that person like it's carnivorous nature.

Anyway, it appear that the owl in front of me certainly belongs to my teacher, Seymour.

A beautiful voice sounded from the familiar.

The owl spoke with a strong voice like that of a singer.

"O Kite, long time no see."

Possibly, That person is looking at us with the familiar as a medium.

Uttering words while using the familiar as an intermediary.

The voice quality was different, but the tone was that of my teacher.

I lower my head to my teacher.

"It has been a long time"

"Umu, it's surely been long"

It was a strange sight to bow to an Owl.

Moreover...what a cocky-looking owl, it's spoke like it was my teacher herself.

"The young girl over there---"

The owl said so. I could easily imagine that the "young girl" it meant was for countess of Otto. It's because the owl was staring at her.

Countess of Otto, who was being called young girl, does not seem to be offended.

"I've never been called a a young girl since I married my husband."

And she forgave the owl for being rude.

Also accepting the continued disrespect from the owls.

"Sorry, young girl. I have an important talk with this man from now on. Can you leave your seat?"

The young girl, Countess Otto, looks at me.

Should I follow the instructions? She had such a look.

I'm sorry, I prayed for her to leave while making such a look.

She didn't seem to mind it at all and talked to her sons.

"Eugen, Luna, Mia. Let's go to the next room with mommy, I've prepared some baked goods."

Her children followed her, "Yes, mother!"

On the way, she slightly turned around.

Gazing at Fiona. Then send me a look.

I wonder if I should bring Fiona too? the Countess send a glance that seem to say that to me.

I thank her for her thoughtfulness.

Then she naturally say to Fiona.

"Fiona too, it's better to come to eats snack with us"

Fiona Initially shows disagreement. it's seems a talking "Fukurou-san" is more interesting for her curiosity than baked goods, but, she lost to her appetite at the end.

"Definitely let me pet it later, kay!"

After saying that, she followed the Countess.

Now in this room there is only me and Chloe.

Then, the owl turned to me and greeted me again.

"It's been a long time, O kite."

I respectfully bow my head.

"It's has been a long time, teacher."

"The arrogant Kite", I had such a nickname when I was attending a magic school, because I only show respect to my teacher, Seymour.

I lower my head until my teacher says, “You may raise your head” or “You don't have to be so formal”. It's a customary rites.

--However, usually she gave me the word immediately, but today she didn't.

Or rather, she suddenly jump into the subject.

This might be a really urgent matter.

I raised my head without hearing my teacher's permission, and listened to the word of the owl.

"O Kite, the situation is urgent. There is no need for unnecessary courtesy exchanges."

With that introduction, the owl told me about the matter.

"There seems to be a mage or Wiseman who has committed a deadly sin in the Lowen region where you live."

"a deadly sin...?"

It was so sudden, I was struck by an emptiness.

"Aa, yes. Do you know that creation of life is prohibited in this country?"

"U-um, w-well, more or less"

"Some alchemy research is given restriction. If you succeed in converting base metals into gold, then the  value of gold will drop, and society will be left in chaos. If a life can be created, people in the Holy Church will start to make fuss. The creation of life is God's territory, and--"

"That's why, we, mage put restriction on our research"

"That's right, but, That's only a facade, we mage are always working hard on research, and on a daily basis, strive for the dreams of Wiseman. which is the creation of gold and the creation of artificial life"

The owl laughs selfishly.

Along with it, I began to laugh to.

Certainly, many mage has violated the laws of the country.

If you are a mage, and if you have such a talent as to be called a Wiseman, you all, will aim for the the ultimate goal, the truth of magic.

Everyone who dreams of creating life and pile up it's research.

It was a natural path for those who desire magic.

The countries and the church who knew about that, more or less, had put restriction on magic research as a facade.

And the mage's side too, so there won't be any outburst from the former.

Insisted that they won't do such research, so they will not be feared by the masses.

The balance between both sides was maintained by such logic, but somehow, it seems there's a wiseman who broke those balance...

Seymour explained to me.

I instantly felt a chill run down my spine, but I asked without changing my expression.

"In other words...what does teacher want to say?"

The owl indirectly answered.

"Neither the empire nor the Holy Church have the capability to create life. I thought so, but I got hold of an information, that apparently, there seems to be a wiseman who succeeded in doing so."

"...Is that information reliable?"

I asked while feigning ignorance, but the owl spoke the truth like it was a matter of fact.

"The ruler of this country was pretty savvy. so they had a wiseman Seymour, make a homunculus detector. It was a magical device that was made to detect a homunculus, the very moment it was born in this world."

"Did teacher made such a device?"

"Aa, even like this, I'm still a great Sage who bear the the title of Imperial Court Magician, you know." 

I couldn't really refuse it, and then teacher continued.

"――However, I never dreamed that the day would come when that device would be useful. Honestly, I only took it up as an easy part-time job that give me a lot of budget and I just had to make an interesting device. "

"By the way, how accurate is the device?"

"Well, it can detect the wave signal when a homunculus was born."

"Even the time of birth?"

"It can, just that it's a year late."

"What about the place?"

That was the answer I wanted to hear the most. 

If it can be measured accurately, then I can no longer play dump.

"Well. It only know that it's in the Lowen region. Only that much."

"……I see"

Then there was no proof that I had succeeded in creating the homunculus.

I guess this is where i should play dumb.

I thought so, but the owl beat me to it.

"The bigwigs of the empire aside, amongst the magician living in the Lowen region, who master the truth of magic, who has enough ability to create the homunculus, the ultimate dream of a magician, I know only one person. And it has already been confirmed that the person is carrying an unfamiliar child."

The owl said so and was silent for a while.

Maybe it gives me room to think.

A hard to read person as usual.

Probably, after convinced that I had succeeded in creating the homunculus, she sent over the familiar to me.

“………………”

After being silent for a while, the owl struck me with an ultimatum.

"Now then, after hearing the story, I want to ask you. My foolish disciple. Is there anything you want to justify?"

And now with a smile,

"--Acute aphasia" *Silence

And by saying that one word I was able to Penetrate the silent.

Originally, I set out on this journey to relied on my teacher.

If it my teacher, Seymour, we can consult about this. It will surely lead me and Fiona in a good direction. With that in mind, I set out on a journey.

At this point in time I didn't harbor any doubt about my teacher.

And so I proudly confessed.

"That blonde girl is the homunculus."

"Hou, like I thought, it's true. So you succeed in creating a new life?"

The owl raises a voice of admiration.

"I don't know about that. It was just born accidentally. It would be impossible to reproduce it again."

"What, a lucky hit is also a hit"

"However, the fact that the bigwigs of the empire and the Holy Church are looking for the homunculus means that they want to reproduce it."

"That's right. They'll try to steal the homunculus's manufacturing process, even if it's not true. If the creator can't reproduce it, they'll capture the homunculus itself and mess with it as an experimental body."

"If so, we must protect it with all our might."

I resolutely insist.

"Is that your intention as a magician? Or is it your pride as a wiseman?"

Ask the owl, but I slowly shook my head.

"No. It's my responsibility as her father."

When the owl heard the answer, he felt like the owl had relaxed it expression.

In the first place, there should be no facial muscles in the owl's face.

However, my teacher seems to be satisfied with my answer.

"Okay. That's what I wanted to hear. If you say that word, I'll do my best to help you."

The owl said so and ordered me to go to her mansion.

After I say my gratitude to my teacher, the owl flew out of the window.

It wings were fluttering over the blue sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment